History
 

ImageCarter-Finley Stadium was originally designed by architect Charles Kahn, a distinguished professor in the NC State School of Design from 1959-1968.  Kahn received his B.A. from North Carolina in 1946, his Bachelors of Civil Engineering from North Carolina State in 1948, his M.S. in Structures from M.I.T. in 1949, and his Bachelors in Architecture from North Carolina State in 1956.  Kahn was recruited by the University of Kansas in 1968 to become the first Dean of their School of Architecture and Urban Design.  After closing out his tenure in academia in 1991, he has returned home to the triangle and consults on architectural design and structural engineering projects.

The name 'Carter-Finley' honors Wilbert James (Nick) Carter (1902-1972) , Harry Clifton Carter (1908-1990), and Albert Earle Finley (1895-1985).  The two Carter brothers graduated from NC State from the school of Textiles and became top executives in the J. P. Stevens Company. They contributed several hundred thousand dollars to fundraising for completion of the stadium. In 1937, the Carter brothers formed their own company, Carter Fabrics of Greensboro, and merged with the J.P. Stevens Corporation. The family was particularly involved with support of the NC State school of textiles. NC State awarded an honorary Doctor of Textile Science degree to Nick Carter in 1943.

Finley was also a strong supporter of the athletics program at NC State. After two years of business school in Virginia, he became a stenographer for the Baltimore, Chesapeake, and Atlantic Railroad Company, rapidly working his way from a position of secretary to the general manager. Finley, a former US Army 2nd Lieutenant, soon became involved in the sale of heavy construction equipment and eventually started his own business, the Raleigh Tractor and Equipment Company.  Finley kept an active interest in supporting the college, and even donated a motel on Western Boulevard to the Wolfpack Club to be used as an athletics dormitory. 

Prior to the 2001 season, the university began a program of modernization of Carter-Finley. The southern endzone was enclosed with seats, and the state-of-the-art Murphy Center (named for Wendell Murphy) was built. Following the 2004-2005 football season, Carter-Finley was again expanded with the completion of  "Vaughn Towers", a complex of luxury boxes, club seats, and media facilities which opened for the 2005-2006 football season.

For the 06 season, a new north end zone grandstand added 5,730 new chairback seats, bench and handicap-accessible seating, with another 1,630 permanent bleacher seats being built underneath the video scoreboard to give Carter-Finley a capacity of 60,000 spectators.

Retired jerseys on the facade of Carter-Finley Stadium include those of Roman Gabriel , Torry Holt and Philip Rivers .  Carter-Finley also displays banners from NC State's Bowl appearances which include the Gator Bowl , Peach Bowl , and Liberty Bowl .

 

 

 

ApparelU

apparelu

spacer.png, 0 kB
TheBigMashup.com
spacer.png, 0 kB